Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mulleran Anomalies

Yesterday I went to my 2 week check up from my D&C. My doctor said I am doing great and ordered some blood test, chromosomal testing for both Tony and I as well as miscarriage panel which I do not know what that consists of. I will know the results of all but chromosomal testing soon. Until Tony gets his blood drawn; which some of us know he faints! :-); we wont know for a few weeks. I am sure the blood work is normal as are the doctors. They are pretty sure that I am miscarrying due to my uterine birth defect.

I got all this information from http://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/ as well as the yahoo group connected to this blog.

What is a Mulleran Anomalie?
The uterus, fallopian tubes and upper vagina are made up of two partially fused tubes, which, in the embryo, are known as müllerian ducts, named for physiologist Johannes Peter Müller, who first described them in 1830. They are also known as the paramesonephric ducts, and are at first present in embryos of both sexes.

Normally, these ducts run down vertically from flank to pelvic floor in the young embryo and eventually fuse into a double-barreled tube with two loose ends, known as the uterovaginal primordium, or UVP. The double UVP will eventually merge into a single-barreled uterus, cervix and upper vagina, while the loose ends develop into the fallopian tubes. In adulthood, these organs are referred to as the müllerian tract and congenital malformations of this tract are called müllerian anomalies, or MAs.

In the male embryo, in the presence of anti-müllerian hormone (AMH), the müllerian structures disintegrate during early development. They persist in the female because she does not produce AMH.

In the embryo, the müllerian ducts act as scaffolding for the mesonephric ducts, which give rise to the kidneys. Because of this parallel structural relationship, it is common for a kidney or other urinary anomaly to be present with a müllerian anomaly.



My Dr who is just a regular OB seems to think I have one of two issues ;




A.  Uterus didelphys (UD): The müllerian tract fails to fuse along all or most of its length. There may be complete duplication of the vagina, cervix and uterus, and the two halves may be divided by a ligament of connective tissue. UD is reported to have the best pregnancy outcomes of all the MAs. SEE IMAGE BELOW.





 Bicornuate uterus (BU): The uterine fundus fails to fuse and a myometrial division extends down to the cervix in a complete bicornuate uterus, or part way to the cervix in a partial bicornuate uterus. The division is visible on the outside of the uterus, evidenced by a groove or cleft in the uterine dome exceeding 1.5 centimeters. Cervix and vagina are usually single but may be septate or duplicate. BU has relatively few pregnancy complications when compared to SU or UU, with breech presentation being one of the most common. SEE IMAGE BELOW.



 We wont know until February when the MRI is scheduled but for now this is what may be going on. 
I go to Scripps Hospital and my OB/GYN is very knowledgeable, he has only known of 1 other doctor besides the one he has seen do this surgery procedure. So we may have to get many different opinions,,. My doctor said he can do the surgery and will with another Doctor present if he has too. We wont know anything until February.


I just read on Ivillage.com that 15% of women with bicornuate uterus have recurrent pregnancy loss. they  said 65-85% have normal pregnancies.  I will get more statistics on everything later on. It just amazes me as I read that I never had abnormal periods, more pain with periods or anything different until I got pregnant. 
My doctor told me he looks forward to delivering a baby for us but obviously we need to fix whats going on. I will get a few opinions and have subscribed to a yahoo group solely for Uterine defects. 


I never knew until August this was a case, it is crazy to  me. I used to think you get pregnant, carry for 9 months then boom a baby. Not in my case or many others. I just hope my friends and family will understand if  I dont attend a baby shower or something of that nature. I know it will pass, but for now this is hard for Tony and I. It seems so easy for many couples, but for us it is not. 
I do not know what is in store for us, I hope I will be able to carry a child of my own one day, but i know there are other options out there. 


I will post more as I know, but will probably post more wedding stuff for now until we know more about me! 


Thanks for caring, understanding and following us in our adventures! 

2 comments:

  1. Crysta, I think it's awesome that you're blogging about this. It will be good therapy for you, as well as informing all of your friends and family about your struggles. Thanks for putting up such awesome information...I must admit, I never knew this condition was as common as it seems! It reminds me to never take my health or my children for granted!

    I look forward to going on this journey with you and know that I support you and Tony in every way possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medicine is amazing! They will be able to help you get pregnant...I am confident of this! Keep the faith Crysta and count your blessings that they have the ability to help you make your monkey!

    ReplyDelete